Over the years, I’ve found that the best workouts to lose weight at work (or anywhere for that matter) are really the ones that you feel you will enjoy. If you don’t find something that works for you, you won’t be motivated to do it. For example, running really burns calories fast and is something I enjoy but if you loathe it, you won’t be likely to actually do it.
Something that people always complain about is not having time to workout because they work long hours. It’s true we are all busy with our own daily grind so why not try to incorporate some of those workouts right into your workday. Come happy hour, you’ll be way ahead of the game.
- Try parking your car further away from work and getting a short walk in to start your day. If you have a parking garage, park on a different level and walk to level the level you work on, take the stairs or better yet, do a combination of the two.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs to your floor. It may be unrealistic to do this if you work on say the 40th floor but you can still do a few flights and then take the elevator the rest of the way. Try to keep increasing how many flights you can do as you build up your endurance.
- Walk, walk, walk! Walking requires no equipment, can be done almost anywhere and really is one of the best workouts. Even a very short walk around the office if you are pressed for time can dramatically increase the circulation in your legs and make you more productive as you go through your day.
- Speaking of not needing any equipment…those good old calisthenics exercises also provide a great workout without having to bring in any workout gear. Feel free to do those sit-ups, jumping jacks, push-ups, squats and lunges.
- Have some fun with your co-workers by planking around the office. Have them join in the fun and ask them to do it with you. (Make sure you work in a place in which the boss doesn’t disapprove of said planking practices.)
- Sit on a stability ball instead of a desk chair or try standing whenever possible to do your work. Any small change that you can make in this area so that you aren’t sedentary for so many hours can make a big difference.
- Many employees like to do an intense workout or run during their lunch hour especially if your company offers facilities for doing so. Take advantage of anything offered to you.
- Don’t have such facilities? Learn some basic yoga or tai chi techniques or pull up a video on your phone that you can do on your break or lunch hour. While these workouts are effective, you won’t have sweat pouring off you and stinking up the joint in those afternoon meetings.
- Stand up and just stretch at least every hour or so to loosen up stiff muscles and get the blood flowing. Reach up to the ceiling and then down to your toes or any combination of stretches that you feel like doing.
- And the last best workout to lose weight at work is…..wait for it….closing your mouth! OK, so the act of closing your mouth won’t actually burn too many calories and can hardly be called a “workout” but it’s really hard to get that birthday cupcake in your mouth when it’s actually closed, you get what I’m putting out there?