I am on the scholarship committee, and I have seen things that make me wonder why anyone would enter a contest when they have no chance of winning. Now, that is a very negative thought to have, but really people! Here are a few tips that will increase your chances of having your entry considered.
1) Know your subject matter. We are a business-oriented greeting cards company. We will not be putting your sexy, half-dressed girlfriend on the front of our corporate holiday cards or business birthday cards. We don’t make Valentine’s Day cards or Halloween cards. Do some preliminary research by going through the website, and get a feel for what we are all about.
2) Submit original artwork. We are not looking for photocopies of our greeting cards or our competitors’ cards. Be original. Be creative. And be unique!
3) Don’t wait until the last minute. Waiting until last minute will not increase your chances of winning; in fact, it is risky because you may miss the deadline. Also, you are putting yourself in a worse position by not giving the judges time to examine your work when there is a sea of other last minute entries…and there are many!
4) Read and follow the criteria for judging. The criteria is posted on the scholarship page of our site (https://www.gallerycollection.com/greeting-cards-scholarship.htm), and they could not be clearer! Here’s the list for you to view:
- Overall aesthetic appeal
- Quality of execution
- Creativity and originality
- Successful incorporation of design elements
- Appropriateness for use as a greeting card
- Attractiveness to The Gallery Collection’s corporate and consumer customers
- Suitability as a design in Prudent’s Gallery Collection greeting cards line (see website for current designs)
And finally, good luck! I have seen some remarkable talent coming in. Please keep up the good work!!