A retirement party is a way to celebrate your coworker’s past accomplishments and also to celebrate what the future will hold for them. Retirement is a big deal. It marks the start of another chapter in your coworker’s life.
Retirement evokes mixed emotions – you are happy for your coworker’s next chapter and then you are a bit sad at the thought of losing your daily time and interactions with this person.
So a memorable transition with the help of a retirement party celebration focusing on your coworker’s career will make their leaving a special event!
Here are some ideas for a retirement party – which could be anything that reflects your coworker’s wishes.
Plan a party
- A luncheon – either in the office or out at a restaurant, with all their favorite foods and possibly a roast to them
- After work drinks and appetizers
- An event focused on their favorite hobby or people in their lives, like their spouses, children or grandchildren.
- A memory jar – with a collection of all the very best memories of their time on the job
- Bucket List jar – to place ideas for the retiree to do with their new found freedom
- A retirement card – signed by everyone in the office
- A retirement gift – It can be gifts related to travel, or their favorite hobbies or a personalized gift
Whatever you end up preparing your coworker will know how much you care and how much you will miss them. Be sure to keep in touch with them through Facebook or by providing coworkers with their contact information, as one the hardest aspects of retirement is saying good bye to your work family.